Full Moons + Migraine
Any of my fellow migraine sufferers been struggling this week? I have. This entire week I’ve been battling a never ending migraine and I couldn’t figure out why. Yeah the weather has been terrible, which is really what I was blaming the migraine on. But then I read the news this morning and this evening we are expecting a Full Moon. A strawberry moon to be exact.
So how exactly does a Full Moon cause migraines? Well Scientists and doctors aren’t sure of why migraines can be triggered by the lunar cycle however a certain number of theories are floating around:
- The full moon can disrupt sleep; for me personally, I can’t ever sleep very well. So the extreme lack of sleep this week has definitely not aided in kicking this migraine to the curb.
- The full moon can change levels of serotonin. Serotonin is a big factor when it comes to migraines; when the levels of that neurotransmitter change, a migraine is often triggered.
- Some women’s menstrual cycles revolve with the moon, and I’ve been expecting mine this weekend, so probably a double whammy for me!
- We are about 70-80% water. Changes in barometric pressure affect me heavily: when the weather is hot and humid I’m definitely plagued with a migraine. When it is overcast and cloudy, prime time as well. Weather is so unpredictable in the past year and this has been a huge problem for me.
So what have I done this week to try and help this migraine? I say that, because how often do friends, family members, or even strangers decide to say “Hey have you tried this?” And all I can think is that I have tried virtually every drug, treatment, natural remedy, etc. At this point its just about acceptance, and making it work when I have one.
- I have been taking Tremadol, and Tylenol 3 consistently to combat the pain (I have had to work all week due to the long weekend so I could not afford to take a sick day to recover)
- I have been taking large amounts of Magnesium & Melatonin at bed time to try and get my body to sleep.
- Long walks with a hat, sunscreen, and as much coverage as I can. Although sun can make it worse, for me, it is important to get fresh air, and move my body. The more I sit, the worse I truly find it gets because the blood isn’t moving in my body and I can just feel it swooshing around in my brain.
- Ice, Ice, Baby. Yep, good old ice packs! Neck, Shoulders, temples, etc.
- I had Acupuncture & Osteopath on Monday, as well as had my weekly nerve blockers, B12 & Iron shot on Tuesday.
- Coffee, and Coke. I find the caffeine in Coffee when I wake up might make the pain a little less severe, and the cold carbonation and caffeine from Coca Cola can temporarily release the pain. Plus, any form of hydration is good (in my opinion).
I hope you all can find some relief tonight if you have been suffering this week! Let me know how the moon affects you!
Checkout this informative video I did over on my Youtube channel, an overall Migraine chat about what I take, my routines, etc.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkLcYwws6y4&t=109s
And don’t forget to read this blog post here where I discuss one of my favourite helpful migraine tools, Blue Light Blocking Glasses!