Well. Here we are, exactly ONE WEEK away from bringing home our new puppy from Ottawa! We’re getting a Mini Dapple Dachshund and we have decided on the name Rei (Portuguese for King) for our little man.
It’s been nearly a decade since I had a puppy last (Rex will be ten in April!) and so while preparing for our puppy, I realized creating a list of all the things to remember and purchase before the puppy arrives is important. This was a great refresher for me also, and really helped me to feel 100% ready for next week.
- If you’re a first time dog owner, it is a good idea to get some books on the breed of dog you’re getting. Ask your vet for suggestions, or even local animal trainers may have suggestions for good books. Researching the ins and outs of the breed you are going to be living with is really crucial. Every breed has different temperisms and mannerisms and its important to become comfortable with them ahead of time.
- Crate training!! It is so important to buy a crate for your puppy. With Rex, I crate trained him until he could be trusted and now he never goes in his kennel ever. He would sleep in his crate as a puppy and also would go in when I would leave the house. It became a safe place for him and I do feel it helped him become a better dog. Amazon has a great selection of dog crates of all shapes and sizes.
- Research local dog trainers. It’s important to take your puppy to at least a handful of training sessions, because you are learning too. I know it seems like a lot of money, but often there are coupons for Petsmart and even maybe in local papers or check Facebook marketplace. Training sessions will be helpful for both yourself AND your puppy learn.
- Decide ahead of time who your vet will be. Even if that is your current vet its best to let them know and get quotes for things like shots and fixing surgery. The sooner you have that idea the sooner you can mentally work it into your puppy budget in order to make your purchases in order of importance. Often vets will offer free puppy packages, or coupons for a local pet store. Be sure to ask what they have available for freebies!
- Be ready to open your heart up. I am literally bursting every day waiting to be with our puppy. Dogs and I have always had a special bond, and I truly find dogs the most loving creatures on the planet. I’ve been searching and attempting to get a second dog for quite a few years. This situation just literally fell into our laps and we could not say no. To say we are excited is an understatement- but we’re very ready to love our little Rei!